Tuesday 25 August 2009

Rear Loom

Modifying the rear loom wasn't that difficult but it took some time and patience to remove all the old tape and wires that were not required. It's a bit daunting looking at all the wires and I was quite nervous about cutting them as I didn't want to have to extend them later.

One thing I did do was consolidate the 2 plugs at the front into one. By the time I'd removed all the wires that weren't need they looked like this:


Smaller plug (left in picture):
Blue/red - fuel pump
Yellow - fuel tank sender
Blue/black (thick) - fog
Red/black - side light (splits into 3: RHS; LHS; number plate light)

Larger plug (right in picture):
Green/black - LHS indicator
Green/white - RHS indicator
Red/green - reversing
Green - brake (splits into 3: RHS; LHS; high level)
Red/white - door switches (I re-used this for the handbrake as it had the same type of connector)

Although the plugs are different sizes, the pins are the same so I was able to move them all into 1 plug:

I did remember to do the same to the corresponding front loom plugs at the same time!

To cover the loom I used self amalgamating tape. So far it seems to give a very nice finish.
I'd already attached cable tie fixings to the inside of the transmission tunnel and around the rear suspension before fitting the propshaft and diff.

Front end. You can see the red wire going to the handbrake:


going around the diff. This photo makes it look like it runs close to the diff plate but there's actually plenty of clearance:


it runs round the diff and above the drive shafts before going down to by the fuel pump. There it splits with one spur going to the RH:


In the centre of the rear there are 3 spurs
- a very short spur to the fuel pump
- a longer spur to the top of the fuel tank for the sender (which I was able to measure and cut accurately by a temporary fit of the fuel tank)
- another long spur for the number plate light (I don't know exactly how this fits so I used the length in the manual)

and this is how the back end looks all wired up:


All ready for the fuel tank to be fitted.

No comments: