Tuesday 25 August 2009

Fan fitting - a bit tight

The fan doesn't slot in between the radiator and the chassis so it's worth sorting out where it goes before finishing fitting the radiator fitting.

The manual states you should use 11mm spacers for the bottom. Nothing like that was in the kit so I cut down some stainless tube I had. When I put it in place there were a couple of things I found. The first was it fouled the bolts holding the nose cone in place (see posting below) so I changed those:


Second was the top bracket pushed the fan too close to radiator (it was touching).


I had 2 options: either re-bend the top bracket or move the radiator forward slightly. I selected the 2nd option for 2 reasons: firstly I had some plastic spacers that I could use to move radiator and secondly it meant the lower hose would have a little more room to clear the chassis:


The one risk is that when I come to fit the nose cone the radiator will foul the bodywork. I've seen in a couple of build diaries people have had issues when the radiator has moved forward but they moved it far more than the few millimeters I've moved it.

I also decided to rivnut the top bracket rather than rivet so that it would be easier to remove later if needed. I didn't have any M4 rivnuts so something to do later.

No comments: