Thursday 5 March 2009

Rear Suspension

Attaching the rear suspension was really satisfying as it makes a huge difference to the car for comparatively little time & effort. All the components went on with very few issues.

Re-attaching the drive shafts to the diff was also simple (with a minor issue I'll put in a separate post) compared to the time and effort it took to take them off the donor. Things are a lot simple when you know how they go together!





I decided not to bother painting the rear uprights are they are covered by the rear arches. Although I think I'll do something with the front ones are they are very visible:





You are to read the manual fairly carefully as a couple of the mountings have special washer arrangements:



You have to sense check the size of bolts in the manual as per a couple of times previously they seemed to be wrong. It states you should use 2 1/2" for the upper rear wishbones. As the bolts have to go through the diff mounting as well that is far too short and I used 4". I'd spotted a shortage of 4" and 4 1/2" bolts and picked up a couple more when I picked up the completion kit so I had enough.
One main issue was a lack of bolt to fit through the top of the upright and the bottom of the shock absorbers. The manual says use M10 x 100mm but there was nothing like that provided in the kit. M10 seem to be the right diameter but 100mm is too short anyway. I've dropped Westfield an email to ask what should be used and if they can provide it. As a temporary measure I used a temporary bar:

No comments: