Monday 2 March 2009

Brake Pipes - Front to rear D

The last brake pipe goes from the front to the rear.

The challenge with this one is it goes front the mid-point of the drivers side, around the fuel pipes and along the tunnel before finally going up to meet the rear tee piece. I asked around on a number of forums for the best route and got several different approaches.

In the end I decided to send diagonally across and then between the 2 fuel pipes at the front. I also riveted from above using washers to protect the P clips so there wouldn't be any bulges under the carpet of the drivers footwell:






Then attach with P clips to the chassis member rather than the lowered part of the floor:


Once I got to the back I came across a problem. The manual shows the pipe going horizontally across the back then vertically up to the tee piece. When I measured the pipe remaining there wasn't enough length. I don't know how you could have used less on the front section to give more at the back. By going diagonally I could make it reach but didn't know if the route would foul anything. The picture below shows the Westfield route in red and my proposed route in green:


My concern was the diff sits very close to the frame at that side of the car. The only option was to fit the rear diff/suspension and see how much space there was.

Things were tight but there was definitely enough space:


and I got a bit carried away bolting stuff on:


of course it all had to come off again so I could drill the holes for the clips!

In the end I was really pleased with how it went in:




No comments: