Wednesday 18 March 2009

Engine mounting - LHS

The engine mounting for the Westfield uses 4 bolts where as the MX-5 only uses 3 leaving me 1 short (although I'm sure 3 would hold it fine). They are 1.25 ISO Metric FINE thread (I think) rather than the more usual M10 x 1.5. Scouring the parts I took off the MX-5 I found the same bolts were used on the power steering mounting which I would not need for the Westfield.

Two of the holes in the engine block are different to the ones used for mounting in the MX-5. These were full of grime & rust and I didn't have a suitable tap due to the fine thread. Mike used a clever little trick to clean out the holes. He used one of the spare bolts from the power steering mounting and cut a slot down the thread. It then acted like a tap:



and here is the mounting fitted:


it was after re-fitting the exhaust manifold I realised I hadn't re-fitted the water inlet. Something to do later...


and Mike with torque wrench:

No comments: