Monday 1 November 2010

Front wheel arches

Rather than drilling through the wheel arches I decided to the "bigheads". These are bolts with large flat heads that you can fibre glass in place. By doing this you have hidden mounting, no future problems with cracking around the holes and a very firm mounting.

The first step is to drill/file slots in the mounting brackets. The reason for slots was so that it would be possible to fit the arches without having to bend the brackets out. The bolts would be at almost 90 degrees apart.


And there are the big heads in place:


Next step was to remove the black coating from the underside of the arches. To do this I used a wire brush attachment on the drill:


Still needs a bit more to make completely clean:


I offered up the arches on the brackets to make sure I was cleaning off in the right place:


and finally I used the dremel to make sure the bigheads lay flat:


I put a layer of fiber glass down first then placed the bracket with the bigheads in place and held until the fibre glass was firm:




After the fibre glass was firm I could remove the bracket leaving the bigheads in place and apply a couple of layers of fibre glass over the top.
By applying a layer of cling film and washers I could ensure the fibre glass was held firm against the bigheads.

No comments: