Sunday 20 July 2008

Fitting body panels - RH tunnel side

Started to fit the RH tunnel side. This panel has an extra fibreglass panel that fits at the back to provide extra clearance for the MX-5 diff.

Working out where to drill the holes in the fibreglass was very tricky. Unlike the aluminium panels, the fibreglass ones do not have pre-drilled holes. The ones along the centre tunnel were obvious. The ones diagonally across the back panel were not. To make like more complicated there is a pre-scored line in the fibreglass which you would think was the drilling line - it isn't! Luckily I had taken a picture of a finished one in the Westfield factory when I was there and realised not to follow the line. After some careful measuring I got the holes in the right place.

Here is the picture I took at the Westfield factory (it shows the variance between the line and the holes very clearly):


and here is mine:


As with the LH panel I found I had to have the panel as forward as it could go. Even so, the holes in the chassis upright at the front were right at the edge. The holes for the seat mounting needed to be elongated:


needed to trim around one of the floor chassis struts


The panel protruded below the chassis. Although not critical I trimmed back so it was flush:

No comments: