Monday 23 February 2009

Fuel Pipes - Bending

I should have said something about fuel pipe bending earlier but didn't so here it is... (I'll probably move this to an earleir date later!)

All the recommendations I've seen say you need a proper tool for bending the fuel pipes. They are a lot more difficult to bend than the brake lines which you can easily bend with your hands. (Or utilising a ring spanner.)
I picked up one of the following for £12.91 from Machine Mart (they are cheeper now the VAT has gone down):


When I collected the original starter kit I spoke to a really helpful guy at Westfield who does all the brake & fuel pipe bending and he gave me a demonstration. By holding the bending tool in a vice, marking the spot with a permanent marker it's (fairly) easy to get good clean bends.


To get a tight bend round a 90deg corner he advised putting a "swan neck". i.e. bend the pipe more than 90deg then bend back. In the end I didn’t need to worry about this as I used the little blocks to hold the pipes away from the front panels.

No comments: