Sunday 8 November 2009

Expansion tank

The expansion tank has 2 connections on it. The main connection at the bottom and a side smaller connection on the top side:


The main connection attaches to an adaptor then to a long "L" shaped piece of pipework supplied in the completion kit. I was confused about exactly where is should route but I found these 2 pictures in the pictures from Westfield's own build:




I could see they had a slight bend on the lower section that I didn't. Initially I'd thought it had to going to the round the carbon canister bracket but after seeing these pictures I realised it didn't. After a bit of bending:

I was able to make it fit.

There was also the matter of the top small connector on the expansion tank and the top connector on the radiator. There was some debate on various forums about if they need to be connected or blanked off. The general consensus was they needed to be connected but I discussed with Simon and Mark while I was at Westfield. The result was confirmation it does need to be connected but they don't provide anything. I got a couple of meters of 8mm fuel pipe off eBay. The only problem is there isn't a lot of spare room inside the nose for clearance. There wasn't a clear picture from Westfield's own build picture but here is the closest they had.

You can just see the small 8mm pipe from the top of the radiator and it has been cable tied to the larger coolant pipe:


and on this one you can just see the pipe looping off the top of the radiator:


Mine looks a bit more messy due to all the wiring.
You can see the pipe from the top of the expansion tank and the L shaped pipe running along the edge of the aluminum panel:


here is a close up of the tank, you can see the adaptor:


and here is the connection off the top of the radiator:

No comments: